Dirk has been world class all series, Terry has got it going the past couple of games and Marion has been huge on both ends of the floor, but Barea has really been a guilty pleasure of mine from game to game. He had a rough start to the series, failing to hit double digits in the first four games, but no matter how small his contribution I can’t help but love everything he does.
I believe appreciation is a healthy practice, so I took the time to jot down everything I love about the little guy. I remember doing this for past girlfriends. Small, quick written notes for a small, quick playing guard.
- Barea was a member of Boy Scouts of America Troop 790 for seven years
- Can hold a conversation with Kerry Kittles about starting beside Jason Kidd in the NBA Finals
- Named Bob Cousy award finalist twice, given to the country’s top point gaurd
- Went undrafted in the 2006 NBA draft – Adam Morrison went 3rd
- Puerto Rico is also small
- Played on the Fort Worth Flyers of the D-League for seven games and scored 40 in two of them
- His jersey (#11) is the only jersey retired in Fort Worth
- The english on his improbable lay-ups convince you to walk around the room in disbelief
- He recorded his first block against Leandro Barbosa
- Barea got is a** kicked by a clothesline from Artest and a mid-air body check from Bynum
- His Mavericks swept the Lakers and Kobe said, “Barea kicked our a**es”.
- Then Barea zings Kobe
- He’s incredible in the pick and roll
- Both of his brothers Jaime and Jason go by JJ aswell
- JJ is way to much fun to say, let alone scream
- Dating former Miss Universe 2006, Zuleyka Rivera
- He’s listed at 6’0 lol
Most of all, he seems like a chill bro. He hasn’t been involved in the verbal war between teams during The Finals, he just quietly goes about his business and plays hard. He plays quick and aggressively, but smart. JJ is one of those players everyone enjoys cheering for.
I hope he can appreciate my list of nice things more than my ex-girlfriends did.